Believe it or not, the exact origins of blackjack remain unknown to this day. Despite the fact that betting experts continue to debate the precise origins of the game, there is a general consensus that the game started in France, perhaps Belgium. That casino game called Vingt-et-Un, which means 21, looks a lot like the modern version we call blackjack. This reference was made in the 17th century, giving more weight to the theory that blackjack was enjoyed by the Spanish and French during that time. Fast forward 200 years to 1913: Nevada was the first state to legalize gambling. The game has enjoyed phenomenal success since the advent of online casinos in the mid-1990s, and continues to dominate the casino world globally.
Blackjack is surrounded by its own lexicon, terms, jargon, and colloquialisms. The diction of blackjack that we have come to enjoy has gone through a long process. Here below are some of the terms that are used the most in the game of blackjack:
- Blackjack – this is a reference to the name of the game or the best possible hand (Ace + 10-card value)
- Bust – any hand with a value greater than 21
- Double the bet – players can double their bets, receive an additional card and then stand, which is known as doubling the bet
- Give – is the action of being shuffled another card
- Deck Card – this refers to the dealer’s face down card, which the players cannot see
- Push – this refers to a tie between the dealer and the player
- Stand – this just means that the player chooses not to draw any other cards and is satisfied with his total hand
- Surrender – available in some online casinos, where a player can surrender once a certain total has been reached and get 50% of their original bet back.
The essence of blackjack is to beat the dealer’s hand without going over 21. In other words, a hand with a total of more than 21 is automatically bumped and the dealer wins. Cards with a value of 2-10 have a face value, while aces can have a value of 1 or 11. All cards with symbols have a value of 10. After a bet has been made, the dealer will deal two cards to every player at the table. Players have the option of receiving a card, standing, doubling down, splitting, taking insurance, or surrendering (if applicable). You get blackjack when you hit 21 with just two cards. Blackjack generally pays at 3-2 odds, the dealer draws up to 16 cards and stands on 17.
The game includes an element of skill and strategy, which is a good sign for players looking to learn more about the game. A basic understanding of blackjack strategy is critical to consistently winning the my3win game. Players have multiple resources to improve the game of blackjack. These include guides blackjack strategy reviews, tutorials, videos, articles and free online blackjack games. Blackjack is often associated with card counting and the + 1 / -1 technique is widely used by skilled blackjack players. The game is played with statistical probabilities and, depending on how many decks are used, players can benefit from a strategy. It is estimated that players can reduce the house edge by 0.5% when using a perfect blackjack strategy.
Players can improve their game by following some basic tips for playing blackjack. These include:
- Play blackjack online for free before playing for real money
- Play blackjack-like games such as Spanish 21 and pontoon to improve your skill at the game
- Use basic strategy to enhance your game
- Learn the rules of the particular blackjack you are playing
- Blackjack is a gambling game, but players shouldn’t let that distract them from the main reason for playing: to have fun.